Friday, April 15, 2011

My Sour Patch Kids



The first time I saw this commercial, it really struck my funny bone. It still makes me laugh.. and even more now... I'll tell you why. For those who couldn't pull up the link, it is a commercial for the candy called, Sour Patch Kids. In this clip, an animated piece of candy who cuts a girls hair off maliciously then takes a 180 degree turn to becoming sweet and cuddly as it warms up to its victim by hugging her leg. How strange that someone thought up such a profound commercial for a simple candy only to reveal the two tastes of sour and sweet that the candy dually offers.

Sour Patch kids happens to be one of the many candies that my husband and I really enjoy. It's actually one of our favorites!  At our first home we lived in in Virginia, I had this one drawer that I managed to always keep filled with all of our favorite candy.  We would dig into it prior to watching a movie and it was great for when we had friends over to watch with us! Yes,  Brandon and I both share a childish love for sour candy.  Ironically, most of our friends have a taste for the same sugary snacks that we like.  Some have asked us to this day if we still have our candy drawer.  We tell them we do, only now it is in a very high hiding spot that only a dwarf with super hero powers could get to.  Our dwarfs have powers, but they're no super heroes. :-)  Besides the fact that our candy drawer has changed location, it also has a  new feature added to it.  It now has chocolate!  Brandon doesnt care much for chocolate and I hated chocolate as a child, but for some strange reason after I gave birth to my first baby girl I became a chocolate fanatic.  I now have a chocolate stash, in addition to our sour candy stash which is primarily my husbands. :-)

What does this have to do with our children? Well, I am pretty sure that I ate a few too many of these while I was pregnant, because I have given birth to three Sour Patch Kids! (an orange one, a green one, and a yellow one, to be precise).  They are all very sweet, but they have a very sour side to them and I am not talking about aged milk.  These kids can turn in the blink of an eye, and its usually when you least expect it.  Speaking of eyes... the other day I told Austin I could see everything he was doing because I had eyes in the back of my head.  I told him they were hiding under my hair.  Busting out laughing he said, "Mom, thats silly. You'd look like an alien if you had eyes there.  Pull your hair up and let me see."  He was a little unsure as to whether I was serious or not.  I think he knows now... I hope.

Austin is my orange Sour Patch Kid. He is not the most sour one in the bunch, but never the less, still has a bite to him.  He can be very aggressive towards his sister, he can be playing and laughing with her one moment and then lashing out at her the next minute for taking his seat in the van.  He will pull hair and punch, even though he looks like he doesn't have it in him.  I only wish that this sour side, would kick into action out on the soccer field.  He has skills, but is not very aggressive.  If he could take the same aggressive behavior he has towards his sister and put it into his efforts on the field, he just might be a star player one day!  Until then, I'll be biting my tongue on the side lines as he allows the ball to roll right past him.  He is also very much a teddy bear.  He looks like one and he even acts like one most of the time.  He has a very thoughtful side to him and is very much concerned about others especially those he loves.

Ava Marie is my green Sour Patch Kid.  Yes, the most sour one in the bag, but a favorite of many. She is the one that makes me laugh so hard at the commercial above.  She is the most like the kid that cuts the hair and then immediately following, tries to butter up to you.  Ava will kick, scream, throw tantrums, push and shove.  She is very determined and I think this will take her far someday, if we can get her on the right path first and foremost.  My fear with her is that one of these days she's going to come cut a chunk out of my hair when I'm not looking.  I think my sour side would ferociously appear instantly if that ever happened, so lets just hope it doesn't! :-)  Like her brother, Ava can be very sweet.  She has this tiny little voice sounding as though she sucked up a balloon full of helium when she talks.  She is so caring and loving to Ainsley.  She likes to pretend that she is Ainsley's mommy, which is fine for Ainsley, but Austin is not too fond of it when she tries to mother him.  Such a cute bunch they are.

Ainsley is my yellow sour patch kid. At a very young age, she already has a pucker to her.  It's actually something new, this sour side, that she has recently picked up, and its probably due to residing in the same bag with the green kid.  Ainsley has developed a hitting and swatting problem. She has always had some defensive mechanisms to her, but lately if she becomes at odds with her sibs or even me, she will just swing out and slap her opposer.  My first inclination is to laugh, but this could become serious for the little 'gangsta'  if the problem at hand, (no pun intended) inclines and continues as she grows bigger and stronger.  She is a cuddle bug though.  She's mostly a mellow yellow Sour Patch Kid. She hasn't given us too many problems yet.  One thing that does concern me is her kissable face, but not too worried, because if it does stay as kissable when she becomes a teen, hopefully she'll put her slap into action to keep the boys off of her.

This blog has been a little rough on the AAA's so I will end it by saying they really are sweet kids. Brandon and I love them all and each of their unique personalities more than words can ever express. We love both their sweet sides and their sour sides, and just for the record, all of our kids share the same love for this sugary snack as we do. Even Ainsley has tried this sour candy at only a year old, due to the 'sweet' side of her sister who decided to share one with her.  I'm yet to find a candy my kids don't love, but glad that we can all share in the sweet and sour enjoyment of Sour Patch Kids, the number one candy for the home of the Parks, Party of Five!!

No comments:

Post a Comment