Thursday, March 17, 2011

This Season in Life...

I'm really not sure if this blogging thing is going to be for me or not, but right now all I know is that "In this season of life" I have the most interesting material straight from the mouths of babes! My days are never boring or dull, only eventful and full of life!

The other day as I was driving back home from a beautiful day at the park, Ava and Ainsley had fallen asleep in there seats and Austin was, as usual, full of questions. This particular day the question was, "Mom, who came first, you or daddy?" I just knew there wouldn't be a quick easy way to answer this. It would take some effort and creative detail made into a long story, fit for a four year old. I came up with a quick plot of where his dad and I were born... met... fell in love... married and then grew a bump and named it Austin...He got so into the story that when I got to the third bump he finished the story and said, " and then came Ains!" It filled my heart with laughter and joy just to hear him say that. He calls his baby sister Ains, short for Ainsley.

I've always found it interesting to see how the next child changes the dynamics of ones family. When I was pregnant I would wonder what it would be like adding another sibling to the mix. Would Austin and Ava miss having more of my time, and attention? But when she came....I realized that in time they would never remember life without her.  Austin, Ava, and Ainsley have a strong bond with each other that nothing could ever break, except for maybe a small toy, piece of candy, or the last Pop-Tart. I find it so intriguing how they can be loving and hugging one another in one moment and then screaming and pulling hair the next. Even Ainsley, who loves her brother and sister so unconditionally and has the blindest of faith in them, will swat a sassy paw at them if they're trying for a food item or toy that she doesn't want to give up.

All in all, they've got each others back, whether it be on the playground or in the home. When Brandon and I are disgruntled with one of them for how they've behaved while out in "public, the other one will almost always run to the accused to give comfort and support during times of punishment. I really do hope this continues straight through the teen years. Adolescent years are tough, and everyone needs a brother or sister to get through the toughest of this so-called thing known as life.

Brandon and I look forward to our future with the triple A's as we watch them grow and become more independent and less dependent on us to do everything for them; from tying their shoes to wiping their little bums. But, I do know I am going to miss these days of changing diapers, night wakes, and cries for mommy because she is the ONLY one who will do. The memories of today are priceless,  so for now, I am cherishing every moment of this season.  George Straight has a song that says it all in this phrase: "Life's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away" I've had at least three of those moments when I gave birth to each of my little luv bugs.


2 comments:

  1. I've always said (for my brother and I and also for my own kids) that your siblings are your best friends and worst enemies. As for them staying close as they grow up, a lot of it has to do with you. Everytime they have a big fight or say they hate this one or that one, I am constantly reminding them that their brothers and sisters are the ones who will always be there for them. "Who do you think will come over on Christmas day with their kids? Your sister/brother Who do you think would be there next to you for hours or days if your child was sick in the hospital? Your sister/brother" etc. "Not your friends, especially the ones you have now. You'll all grow up and move away, but your siblings will always be there for you. Never forget that." I also never compare them to each other.....maybe to someone else's kids, but not each other. It will only build hard feelings between them. Of course, you have sisters, so you probably know all this. Looking forward to your new blog. Hey, I print mine off once a year and put it in a three-ring binder to keep as a "scrapbook" of sorts. Enjoy it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. …great read and looking forward to chapter two!

    ReplyDelete